This chocolaty vegan rocky road ice cream is rich, creamy and delicious. The perfect healthy, dairy free ice cream for adults and children.
Rocky road is a classic flavor that so many people love. Maybe because it’s a twist of the classic chocolate ice cream. My vegan version is no exception. You only need a few simple ingredients to make this decadent ice cream:
- Coconut milk, canned
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Marshmallows, I used vegan
- Hazelnuts are optional but totally recommended.
I used coconut milk, but you can replace it for vegan heavy cream or regular heavy cream if not vegan.
Making your own ice cream has a lot of benefits. You can control the ingredients and flavors; save money and you will always have it available. Although I have an ice cream maker, you definitely don’t need one to make delicious ice creams.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker just mix and blend the ingredients, chill for an hour, transfer mixture into a freezer safe container, cover and leave it there until solid or overnight. Before scooping the ice cream take it out of the freezer and wait for about 20-30 minutes. That wat it’s easier to scoop and serve.
If you have an ice cream maker churn the ice cream mixture accordingly to your manufacture’s instructions.
I hope you try this recipe and like it as much as much as I do! If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Here’s the Recipe:
Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25
- 1-14oz can full fat coconut milk, unsweetened
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup or more to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup vegan marshmallows
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped (optional)
- Add ingredients except for nuts and marshmallows, to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also whisk in a bowl.
- Adjust the flavor to your taste, then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Fold into nuts and marshmallows. Place in the freezer for about 4-6 hours or until firm.
- If you have an ice cream maker churn the ice cream accordingly to your manufacture instructions. Add marshmallows and nuts after ice cream is ready or in the process if the ice cream maker allows it.
- If your ice cream gets too firm in the freezer, allow it to thaw at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
SHARE THE LOVE ON PINTEREST