This healthy tart will bring you to a tropical paradise. It has all that tropical flavors you need right now. It’s vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free and so delicious. Plus is so easy to make with simple ingredients.
I made this tart using passion fruits that my family sent me from Puerto Rico. If you don’t have passion fruits available in your area, you can use frozen purée or replace it for mango. Growing up in Puerto Rico gave me the chance of eating all the tropical fruits and desserts you can’t imagine. My favorite tropical desserts are made with coconut and passion fruit. Here where I live it’s almost impossible to buy fresh passion fruit. So, my family spoils me with care packages with tropical candies and fruits.
If you are using passion fruits here’s a video of how I separate the pulp from the seeds without blending. I find this method more effective even though it requires more time.
For this tart you can use “Agar-Agar” powder or corn starch. Here I give you both options because sometime Agar powder it’s hard to find at the supermarket.
If you don’t know what Agar powder is, don’t worry I got you covered. Agar is a naturally gelatinous powder derived from marine red algae. It’s the perfect vegetarian substitute for beef gelatin in any food application, and makes an excellent thickener for soups, jellies, ice cream and more. Substituting agar flakes with cornstarch is easy; all you have to do is use a simple 2:1 ratio of cornstarch to agar flakes.
If you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed on the recipe, make sure to replace it for something suitable for you to eat. Also, feel free to sweetened your tart depending on your taste.
I hope you try this recipe and like it as much as much as I do! If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Here’s the Recipe:
Passion Fruit Coconut Tart (Vegan, Gluten-Free & Refined Sugar Free)
Serving: 1 Tart
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: Refrigerate for 4-6 hours
For the Crust:
- 1 ¼ cups Gluten-Free rolled oats
- ½ cup Shredded coconut
- ½ cup Pecans or almonds
- 10 dates, pitted
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
For Tart Filling:
- 6 Passion Fruits or 1 Pouch of frozen purée
- ¼ Maple syrup or more to taste
- 1 Can of full fat coconut milk
- ½ Can of coconut cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder or replace for 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- Grease an 8-inch tart pan with a removable bottom using coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- In a blender combine crust ingredients and blend until well incorporated. It will be crumbly and sticky.
- Press tart crust firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan and refrigerate while you work with your filling.
- Prepare a large bowl with a mesh sieve. Cut passion fruits in half and scoop the pulp into the mesh sieve.
- Using a fork start scraping the seeds and separate the pulp from the seeds. **See Video**
- If using frozen purée skip step five. *See recipe notes if using a blender to separate the seeds from the pulp.
- You should have ½ of passion fruit juice.
- Pour passion fruit, coconut milk, coconut cream into a medium saucepan over low heat.
- When mixture becomes warm, add the agar-agar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Cook until agar-agar is completely dissolve. Allow to boil for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, cover with a plate and refrigerate for at least for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
If you are using cornstarch the process will be different because you will have to dissolve cornstarch before adding it to the mixture. Also, you have to cook it for about 5 minutes until you get a creamy consistency. Then you can refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
SHARE THE LOVE ON PINTEREST