Are you looking for a unique vegan dessert recipe? Check out this delicious, vegan-friendly Arroz con Dulce recipe that is perfect for any occasion!
Arroz con dulce is a popular dessert in Puerto Rico, especially during the holidays. This is my Vegan Arroz con Dulce recipe and is perfect for any occasion. We Puerto Ricans make Arroz con Dulce like no other.
WHAT IS ARROZ CON DULCE
Puerto Rican bloodiness and culture emerged through the mixing of Africans, indigenous Tainos, and Spanish races that arrived on the island. Africans and Spanish brought new food, spices, and traditions that influenced our culture. For example, they introduced rice, sugar cane, coconuts, spices, and dried fruits.
It is hard to say who invented the Arroz con Dulce. The first Arroz con Dulce written recipe was found in 1859 inside the anonymous cooking manual El Cocinero Puertorriqueño The recipe was named “Arroz con Coco” which means coconut rice. Also, the recipe suggested the use of green lemon peel instead of ginger. This creamy dessert is related to coconut pudding but with the addition of aromatic spices like ginger, cloves, and star anise. Of course, nowadays they are many variations of this delicious recipe.
GATHER THE INGREDIENTS
To make this Vegan Arroz con Dulce you’ll need a few simple ingredients. These include coconut cream, medium-grain rice, coconut condensed milk, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, salt, raisins or sultanas, and ginger. You can also add some other flavors like nutmeg and cardamon if you wish. Once you have all the ingredients, you can start making your Vegan Arroz con Dulce.
This recipe is easy to make, vegan, and will become part of your festivities menu.
- Medium-grain rice – The longer you soak your rice, the creamier your Arroz con Dulce will be. I soak my rice for at least 2-3 hours.
- Spice tea – After soaking your rice you can make your spices tea. Add 3 cups of water to a Dutch oven or Caldero, add salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and, star anise, and bring to a boil for a few minutes until fragrant. Use a tea strainer or a spoon strainer for the spices.
- Raisins or sultanas – Soak the raisins or sultanas for 15 minutes before adding them to the rice.
- Coconut cream – I like to warm my coconut cream for a few seconds in the microwave before using it. Warming the coconut milk helps to break the lumps and it will incorporate better into the rice mixture.
- Coconut condensed milk – I use coconut condensed milk to sweeten my Vegan Arroz con Dulce. The coconut condensed milk gives this recipe an extra touch of coconut. You’ll add the condensed milk at the end when the Arroz con Dulce is ready.
HOW TO MAKE ARROZ CON DULCE
- First, soak your rice for about 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on how creamy you want your rice. I soaked my rice for 1 1/2 hours and it’s perfect for my taste. I recommend you soak your rice for 2-3 hours if you like it on the creamier side.
- Second, add 3 cups of water to a Caldero or Dutch oven. Add ginger, cloves, salt, cinnamon, and star anise. Simmer your tea for about 15 minutes until fragrant. Remove spices from the tea and discard, save the infused water (tea). I recommend you use a tea strainer or a strainer spoon to remove spices easily.
- Then, drain the rice, add it to the infused water, and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Do not leave it unattended. After the water is evaporated but not dry, add coconut milk and raisins. Stir and cook the rice for 20 minutes stirring a few times to avoid the rice sticking to the bottom of your Caldero.
- Add a little bit of water, about 1/4 cup at a time if the water is absorbed but the rice is not cooked.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour it into serving dishes and place it inside the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve. Garnish with cinnamon and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE ARROZ CON DULCE
This Vegan Arroz con Dulce will last for several days in the refrigerator. Make sure to cover and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. I never freeze my Arroz con Dulce because it never lasts long enough to have leftovers.
OTHER PUERTO RICAN POPULAR RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Puerto Rican Tembleque – Coconut Pudding
Puerto Rican Coquito Vegan Recipe
ARE YOU MAKING THIS RECIPE?
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your delicious creations!
SHARE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST
Vegan Arroz con Dulce - Perfect for Any Occasion
- 1 Dutch Oven or Calderon
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain rice soaked in water for 90 minutes
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cans coconut cream
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1 can coconut condensed milk
- In a large bowl add the rice and enough cold water to cover the rice. Let it soak for 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, Caldero, or Dutch oven over medium-high heat bring to boil 4 cups of water. Add cloves, cinnamon, ginger, anise, and salt. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Remove and discard spices. Reserve infused water in the saucepan. Add rice, raisins, and coconut cream. Stir to combine, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. If your rice is uncooked, add 1/4 cup of water at a time until is done.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and add coconut condensed cream. Fold to combine. Pour into serving dishes, cover tightly, and chill for a few hours or overnight.
- Garnish with cinnamon and enjoy! Buen provecho!
2 thoughts on “Vegan Arroz con Dulce – Perfect for Any Occasion”
Muy rico 🔥🔥🔥♥️🇵🇷