This Hummus de Gandules – Pigeon Peas Hummus recipe is quick and easy to make, super-smooth and creamy with a traditional Puerto Rican flavor!
Hummus is one of my favorite foods. I tried “Hummus de Gandules” (Pigeon Peas hummus) a few years ago and since then I’ve been meaning to create my own. I used my Classic Garlic Hummus recipe but replace the chickpeas with pigeon peas. The results were amazing. This hummus de gandules tastes like the tropics. Of course, I added some of my Puerto Rican seasonings as well.
Even though I listed my ingredients in the recipe, feel free to adjust the seasonings. This recipe is great as an appetizer, spread, and even for your salads. I love making hummus wraps.
Let’s talk about how to make this hummus
Classic hummus calls for chickpeas, but you can experiment with other types of beans. For this recipe, I used pigeon peas.
Tahini Sauce, in my opinion, the best tahini is Trader Joe’s organic brand. Is creamy and easy to stir.
Taste and season. Give the hummus a taste and add in extra ingredients depending on your taste.
Instead of water, save the water of one of the pigeon peas can and use it for the recipe.
Mix and blend all the ingredients until smooth. For a creamier consistency add more tahini sauce and water.
Ways you can use this hummus:
- Spread over your toast, sandwiches, and burgers.
- As a dressing for your salads.
- Mixed with pasta. It can be used as a sauce for hot noodles or cold pasta salads.
- Mashed potatoes.
- Wraps! Hummus wraps with kale and other veggies are so good!
- Of course, you can always use it as a dip for your pita bread or veggies.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below. Also, don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Other Puerto Rican Recipes using Pigeon Peas:
ARROZ CON GANDULES VEGANO (VEGAN RICE AND PIGEON PEAS)
Asopao de Gandules con Bolitas de Platanos Vegano
Hummus de Gandules - Pigeon Peas Hummus
- Food Processor
- 2 cans pigeon peas
- 1/2 cup pigeon peas water save the water from 1 pigeon peas can
- 1/2 cup tahini organic
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Open pigeon peas cans. Save the water of one can and set it aside.
- Wash and rinse pigeon peas. Set aside.
- Add tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon, and olive oil. Puree until smooth.
- Add pigeon peas and puree until creamy and smooth. For about 3-4 minutes.
- Adjust the ingredients depending on your taste and desire consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
SHARE THE LOVE ON PINTEREST!