Puerto Rican Tembleque – Coconut Pudding is a coconut dessert pudding from Puerto Rico. This creamy dessert is one of the most popular desserts in Puerto Rican cuisine.
The traditional tembleque recipe is naturally vegan friendly. Tembleque, is mostly served during the holidays. Although, you can find it around restaurants year around. There’s a few variations of tembleque flavors. But my favorite is the traditional recipe.
Other Puerto Rican desserts you will love are Vegan Quesitos and Coconut Candy .
About Puerto Rican Tembleque – Coconut Pudding
- The recipe originated in Puerto Rico but there’s a few variants around Latin America.
- In Spanish the word “Tembleque” is an advective to describe something that shakes. Due to the Jell-O, like texture this dessert shakes when is prepared correctly. That’s why they called it tembleque.
- This recipe is made with simple ingredients. You only need, coconut milk, sugar, salt, vanilla, corn starch and cinnamon.
- Also, you can top your tembleque with a caramel sauce, fruits or any other sauce.
- Replace your ingredients with other flavors for a delicious variation. In addition, you can add extracts and even dried fruits inside the tembleque.
Here’s a Tutorial for my Tembleque recipe:
My abuela used to make the best tembleque. Furthermore she loved making Christmas desserts for friends and family. I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know.
Tips to Make Tembleque:
- Use regular canned coconut milk. Make sure to shake well before using. Also strain the milk using a fine mesh strainer.
- The Trader Joe brand is great but it’s not the best for making tembleque.
- Do not leave unattended.
- Mix the corn starch with a few tablespoons of milk inside a small container. Whisk until is fully incorporated. Then add it to your coconut milk. This process will avoid a lumpy mixture.
In conclusion, If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below. Also, don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Puerto Rican Tembleque - Coconut Pudding
- medium saucepan
- 2 cans coconut milk, regular
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a medium pot over medium heat stir coconut milk, sugar, and salt together. Add cinnamon sticks.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of the coconut milk mixture into a small bowl and stir cornstarch into the mixture to dissolve. Pour into the mixture in the saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring constantly. Cook until smooth and thick, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour into mold, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold and firm, 2-3 hours. Refrigerate overnight for better results.
- Run a knife around the edges of the mold and invert onto a plate to remove putting. Garnish with cinnamon.