These oven pancakes are also known as Dutch Babies, German Pancakes a Bismarck or a Dutch Puff. They require everyday ingredients and are ready in just 25 minutes. They are great for breakfast, brunch or even dessert.
The best way to eat them is with berries, jam, maple syrup, and whipped cream. I made a vegan lemon curd to go with it and it was so delicious. For the lemon curd, I used turmeric for color purpose but you can totally skip it or use food coloring. My version requires 3 eggs but you can totally replace the eggs using 1 tablespoon of vinegar along with 1 teaspoon of baking soda for each egg.
These are dairy-free, sugar-free and can be made using gluten-free flour. I used almond milk but you can use any milk. For sweetener I recommend you to use Truvia because it tastes great and won’t change the flavor. There’s a lot of different pancake syrups brands that you can use if you eat sugar-free, I personally love using pure maple syrup. For making these Dutch babies, you will need two 7” ovenproof skillets. If you are making just one Dutch baby you can use a bigger skillet.
I hope you try this recipe and like it as much as much as I do! If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook pageor tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Here’s the Recipe:
Dutch Babies-Sugar-Free with Lemon Curd and Berries
- 3 Eggs or replace using (1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar + 1teaspoon baking soda)
- 1/2 cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons Truvia
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients (except for butter) and blend until smooth. You can use a blender or a hand mixer.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter on each 7-inch skillet or baking dish. If you are only making one pancake place 4 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch skillet or baking dish.
- Place skillets in the oven. As soon as the butter has melted (watch carefully) add the batter to the pans, return to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Until the pancake is puff and golden.
- Lower temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with you choice of toppings and enjoy!
Vegan Lemon Curd
- 1/4 cup Truvia sweetener
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric (optional for color)
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk together.
- Turn on stove on medium heat and whisk constantly for about 5 minutes until thickens. For about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour inside a heat proof container.
- It will thicken more as it gets cold.
- Keep inside the refrigerator for a week