This fudge skillet brownie is made with a brownie mix for an easy and quick decadent dessert. The trick is to replace the ingredients for a better consistency. Eat it with this creamy healthy chocolate frosting or just scoop it up with your favorite ice cream and enjoy it!
My husband went grocery shopping last week and when he went to the baking aisle, he couldn’t find any type of flour available. So, he called me to let me know that there were only cake mixes available. I told him not to worry because I had enough flour to last at least a month. Then I started to think about all the people out there trying to make desserts and not able to find ingredients. I immediately called him back and asked him to buy me some cake mixes.
I replaced and added some of the ingredients to make the brownie mix more flavorful and richer. I replace the water with dairy free buttermilk, the eggs with ¼ cup of applesauce per egg and added almond extract. Also, I added some hazelnuts to the mixture but that’s optional. Feel free to add whatever nuts you have on hand. With all these tricks, my skillet brownie turned out amazing. You can use eggs if they’re available, but I wanted to try it without eggs to see the results for the brownie.
Baking from scratch is always a great idea, because it tastes better, fresher and you control the ingredients in the recipe. But since we’re dealing with the lack of ingredients in the supermarkets, a cake mix is always convenient.
I hope you try this recipe and like it as much as much as I do! If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Here’s the recipe:
Easy Skillet Brownie
Serving: 8 serving
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35
- 1 Brownie Mix – I used Duncan Hines (is vegan)
- 3 eggs or replace each egg for ¼ cup of applesauce
- ¼ cup almond milk + 1 tbsp apple cider or use regular milk or buttermilk.
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¼ vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup of walnuts or hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a skillet or baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine almond milk with apple cider vinegar and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients, apple sauce or eggs, vegan buttermilk, almond extract and stir to combine.
- Fold mixture in nuts.
- Pour mixture into skillet and bake for about 30-35 minutes. Bake until the center of the brownie pan is no longer jiggles and is just set to the touch.
- The brownie will keep baking in the hot skillet out of the oven.
- If testing with a toothpick, the toothpick should come out dirty for a fudge-textured brownie
- Let it cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy with frosting, ice cream or your favorite toppings.
*** Use an oven thermometer to make sure you are baking at the right temperature.
Chocolate Buttercream Recipe : https://thehungrydragonfly.com/2019/12/22/easy-almond-amaretto-sugar-cookies-with-chocolate-buttercream/