Vegan Buttery shortbread cookies filled with pecans and rolled in powdered sugar. These Snowball Cookies are a perfect easy dessert for the holidays!
These cookies are similar to Polvorones or Puerto Rican Shortbread Cookies. They are called by different names; Mexican Wedding Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes but I love the name Snowballs.
If you haven’t tried these cookies, let me tell you how they taste. They are a rich, buttery and filled with pecans. They literally melt in your mouth. Yes, they’re as delicious as they sound. They are so easy to make and just required a few ingredients. You can even swap out the pecans for something else like dried cranberries, walnuts or even chocolate chips!
When it comes to snowball cookies, you want the cookies to stay rounded and not flatten out. The amount of powdered sugar in these cookies helps them hold their shape in the oven.
Another important thing with these cookies is to not make them too big, you only want about 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie. I like to use a cookie scoop to measure out the cookie dough. These cookies are ready in about 14-15 minutes. You need to pay attention to your oven and make sure the bottom is lightly brown before removing from the oven.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make these cookies!
Here’s the recipe:
Vegan Snowball Cookies – Mexican Wedding Cakes
- 1 cup vegan buttery spread, softened
- ½ powdered sugar + 1 cup for roll/dust
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or your favorite nut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, ½ cup of powdered sugar (set the remaining 1 cup aside to roll the cookies), and vanilla extract for about 1-2 minutes or until well combined. Mix in the flour and salt until combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in pecans using your hands or mixer on low speed.
- Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop (or measuring tablespoon) scoop out the cookie dough, roll into balls, and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in separate batches at 350°F for 14-15 minutes or until the cookies are set and the bottom is lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly for about 5 minutes, then roll each cookie in the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar while they’re still warm. Allow to cool completely and roll all of the cookies one more time in the powdered sugar.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: