Vegan creamy chickpea rotini carbonara that it’s naturally gluten-free, healthy, comforting, easy to make and so delicious.
Skillet pasta is my favorite way to make my pasta recipes. Using cast iron skillets has so many benefits, you can read about it on a previous post. I made a vegan cashew cheese sauce that turned out amazing. We tried cashew shredded cheese for the first time, and we loved it.
As you must know the traditional carborana requires the use of eggs, so I replaced them for chickpea eggs. Chickpea eggs are so easy to make, and they have an eggy consistency that works perfectly.
For this carbonara, I replace the meat for mushrooms. I used Baby Bella mushrooms, but any mushroom will work. Also, if you don’t like mushrooms you can totally replace it for sun dried tomatoes.
The chickpea rotini is so delicious and naturally gluten-free just make sure you follow the instruction on the box. Overcooked pasta doesn’t taste good at all. I love baking my pastas because it enhances the flavors. If you haven’t tried it, I totally recommend it.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Here’s the recipe:
Vegan Chickpea Rotini Carbonara Skillet
8oz Chickpea Rotini
5 Baby Bella Mushrooms
1 -½ Liquid Smoke
½ Zucchini, sliced
¼ cup White Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, peeled and chopped
2 Vegan Chickpea Eggs (1 TBS of Chickpea Flor + 3 TBS of water for each egg)
2 cups Almond Milk
3 TBS Nutritional Yeast
½ TSP Salt
Dash of Pepper
1 bag 8oz Cashew Shredded Cheese
1. Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
2. Slice mushroom, soak with liquid smoke and set aside.
3. Slice zucchini and set aside.
4. Chop onion set aside.
5. Peeled garlic clove and chop.
6. Prepare your vegan eggs.
7. Sauté mushrooms over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes to enhance the smoky flavor, set aside.
8. Inside a blender or food processor, mix vegan eggs, almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Blend until well incorporated.
9.Pour mixture inside a skillet over medium high heat. Add cashew shredded cheese and stir until incorporated.
10. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until mixture thickens to a sauce consistency. If the sauce it’s too thin add more cheese or cook longer.
11. Add cooked pasta and fold into sauce. Add mushrooms and zucchini. Bake pasta over 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
SHARE THE LOVE ON PINTEREST