These cupcakes are moist, delicious and packed with natural chocolate flavor. The recipe calls for simple ingredients and is really easy to follow.
If you don’t like amaretto feel free to replace it with almond or vanilla.
For best results use natural cacao powder and buttermilk. I made my buttermilk using almond milk but you can totally use your favorite kind of milk. The amaretto gives this recipe a decadent flavor that you won’t resits.
For the buttercream I made my Holiday Chocolate Almond-amaretto Buttercream. This buttercream recipe is so creamy, chocolaty and so silky. It literally melts in your mouth.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook pageor tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
Here’s the Recipe:
Healthy Chocolate Amaretto Cupcakes
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time 18 Minutes
Yield: 12 – 14 Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup Unbleached Flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 large eggs or Aquafaba eggs for vegan
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (Swerve for a sugar free version)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup Melted Coconut Oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Amaretto liquor or extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk ( I made it using 1/2 cup of almond milk + 1 tsp of lemon juice)
- For the buttercream visit this link: https://thehungrydragonfly.com/2019/12/22/easy-almond-amaretto-sugar-cookies-with-chocolate-buttercream/
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, sugars, oil, amaretto and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients and buttermilk. Gently whisk until just combined.
- The batter will be thin and that’s okay.
- Pour batter into liners filling only halfway to avoid spills when baking.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow time to cool and frost.
SHARE THE LOVE ON PINTEREST