This Puerto Rican Chorizo Soup is my meatless version of the traditional recipe. This hearty soup is the perfect comfort food for cold and rainy days. Great for fall and winter!
In Puerto Rico, chorizo soup is a Spanish colonial legacy. Have you tried chorizo? Chorizo is a type of pork sausage that is popular in Spanish cuisine. It is made from pork, paprika, and other spices, and is typically cured and smoked.
With all the plant-based meat replacements we have nowadays, is easy to veganize a traditional recipe that calls for meat. I used the same seasonings used in the traditional recipe but replace the meat with vegan chorizo.
This Puerto Rican Chorizo Soup Vegan Recipe is:
- The perfect comfort food
- Easy to make
- Healthy and rich
- Packed with plant-based protein
- High in fiber
- Pair well with salad or bread
- Perfect for rainy, cold, or snowy days!
The ingredients for this recipe are staples in. my kitchen. Find the Puerto Rican Sofrito Recipe here: Puerto Rican Sofrito
Also, this soup recipe is a great idea for meal prep. If you would like a thicker consistency, use less broth or add more veggies. If you like soups check out my Puerto Rican Vegan Sancocho my Chickpea Creamy Vegan Soup and my favorite one Asopao de Gandules con Bolitas de Platanos Vegano
My non-vegan family enjoyed this recipe and had seconds. I made a big pot of this soup and saved the leftovers for the next few days. We enjoyed it with white rice and avocado slices. The best about having leftover soup is that the flavors become richer as they sit together for a longer time.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your delicious creations!
SHARE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!
Puerto Rican Chorizo Soup - Vegan Recipe
- 1 Caldero
- 4 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sofrito
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound bottom mushrooms
- 12 oz pack of vegan chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of each adobo and sazon **add more if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 of each handful of cilantro and culantro (recao)
- 1 tbsp amino coconuts optional
- 5-6 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tomato sauce
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1-2 carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups noodles or your choice of pasta
- Preheat a large caldero or Dutch oven to medium heat. Add oil, onion, pepper, and sofrito. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms and vegan chorizo. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings, and herbs stirring to coat the vegan chorizo and mushrooms. Then add the amino coconuts if using. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add veggie broth, water, potatoes, and carrots. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Then add pasta and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Serve with avocado slices and bread. Enjoy!