Vegan Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls are moist, soft, mouthwatering desserts, breakfast, or brunch!
These rolls are topped with silky coffee icing that will melt in your mouth. The best about this recipe is that is ready in about an hour.
These Vegan Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls are:
- Easy to bake
- Ready in about an hour
- The perfect holiday dessert
- Great for your gatherings and potlucks
- Healthier than regular rolls
You can fill your cinnamon rolls with vegan Nutella, peanut butter, cookie butter, or any other delicious spread that you like. I filled my rolls with a gluten-free, vegan chocolate spread made with dates. Check out my Instagram for details.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Chocolate spread – you can make a homemade chocolate spread or use vegan hazelnut spread, peanut butter, almond butter, pistachio, or any other. If you have allergies sunflower butter is a great choice.
- Hazelnuts – use the nuts of your preference or just skip it.
- All-purpose flour – I used unbleached all-purpose flour but these rolls can be made using a gluten-free blend.
- Milk – I used almond milk but soy works well too.
- Date sugar – coconut sugar or regular brown sugar for the filling are great options.
- Quick rise yeast (instant yeast) – this is the start ingredient for making these rolls in about an hour. If you use regular yeast it will work but it will take more time for the dough to rise.
Tips for making this recipe:
If you made cinnamon rolls before then you know that the process is long. It requires a lot of rising and resting. This recipe requires less preparation without affecting the amazing flavors and textures. I did not leave a space between each roll in purpose but I recommend you to leave room in between as they will rise as they bake.
How to store your Vegan Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls:
Cinnamon rolls taste better right after baking when fresh and warm. Although you can keep leftover rolls for 2-3 days covered at room temperature. I never tried freezing leftover rolls but if you tried feel free to let me know.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #thehungrydragonfly on Instagram! I love seeing your delicious creations!
Other popular dessert recipes on my blog:
SHARE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!
Vegan Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
For the Dough
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
- 2 packets (5 tsp) quick rise yeast (instant yeast)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate spread use more if needed
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted hazelnuts, chopped optional
- 1/3 cup date sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the Icing
- 2 tbsp vegan heavy cream or plant milk
- 1 tsp expresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegan confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Make the Dough
- Warm the milk in the microwave for 90 seconds. Make sure is just warm and not hot or it will kill the yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl add the milk, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes, it will be a bit foamy on top.
- Add melted butter, salt, and flour to the yeast mixture. Using a spoon, or a stand-up mixer with the dough hook or paddle attachment mix to incorporate for about 3-4 minutes.
- If needed, add 1/3 of flour at a time, until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes, until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Place the dough back inside the large mixing bowl, cover it with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. I place my bowl inside the oven with the light on. The dough will double the size.
Assemble the Cinnamon Rolls
- Grease a 9x13-casserole dish, or a pie pan. Set aside until needed. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle a clean counter or pastry mat with flour. Punch the dough down. Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle more flour on top while rolling to prevent sticking as needed.
- Using the back of a spoon or small spatula spread the vegan chocolate spread. Sprinkle date sugar or brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped hazelnuts.
- Roll up the dough into a tight 16-inch log. Starting with the long end closest to you. Using a sharp knife cut into 12 even rolls between 1-1.5 inches each.
- Place the rolls into the prepared baking dish or tray of your choice. Bake them for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the centers are cooked.
Make the Coffee Icing
- Warm milk or heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add expresso instant powder and mix until coffee powder is completely dissolved. Slowly add confectioners' sugar to make a thick syrup mixture.